A relatively new method of stimulation, laser a cupuncture usually uses low-energy laser beams—instead of traditional acupuncture needles—to influence the flow of current at the acupuncture points. Beyond conventional medicine, laser acupuncture is usually the preferred procedure for effective treatment of painful conditions such as carpal tunnel syndrome, tennis elbow, arthritis of the knee, and chronic headache in children.
Most practitioners of laser acupuncture have an in-depth knowledge of traditional Chinese medicine, and a clear understanding of how various acupuncture points function.
Laser acupuncture is primarily used to serve two purposes: an anesthetic effect and the stimulation of acupuncture points in a therapeutic program. The procedure has some distinct advantages over the traditional needle method. Many patients who are usually afraid of needles, such as children, prefer laser acupuncture. Use of a laser makes it a typically noninvasive, aseptic procedure, which significantly reduces the pain and recovery time associated with invasive treatments. Generally, laser acupuncture can treat the same range of complaints as needle acupuncture.
The main benefits of laser acupuncture are summarized below:
- It is safe and scientifically proven to be an effective means of medical treatment.
- It is 100% painless. In fact, the laser energy impulses are capable to trigger the brain to release our body’s natural pain killer Endorphin.
- Reduced anxiety of the patient as no needle insertion is involved, which leads to a more relaxed, calmed state.
- Patient’s mobility is not restricted. Even very slight muscle contractions in areas of needle punctures can prove to be rather painful in classical acupuncture.
- The laser is able to treat multiple acupoints without the need for needle insertion.
- It is cost efficient as the intense laser energy generated has power of a mere 500m Watts.
- The energy of the laser nourishes the cells and revitalizes.
- As the dosage of the laser can be quantified, Laser Acupuncture proves to be more flexible in terms of treatment dose as opposed to classical acupuncture.
- Treatment times can be reduced depending on the laser intensity selected.
- Immediate improvements can be seen just after the first treatment.